La Liga has informed Barcelona that they do not have the Financial Fair Play (FFP) capacity to register Dani Olmo or Pau Victor after being handed a temporary reprieve earlier this year.

At the end of 2024, news came to light that Barcelona had their temporary licences to register Olmo and Victor revoked after they had not shown evidence which would allow them room to register the players in their budget. After this news was announced, a handful of teams were linked with Olmo, including Arsenal, as the Spaniard looked set to be available for free in January.

Barca would ultimately appeal the decision and Spain's sports council (CSD) retracted the punishment and handed Olmo and Victor temporary registrations. The final decision would then be made on April 7, 2025.

To improve their financial position and raise much-needed funds, the Catalan club announced they had sold VIP boxes at their soon-to-be renovated Camp Nou for £83m. They claimed that this agreement would give them the room to fully register their players.

However, La Liga has since announced that this deal was not recorded in the accounts submitted by Barcelona to the league last week for this season. Therefore, in the eyes of he league, Barca have not shown evidence that they can register Olmo and Victor.

"No amount from the [VIP box deal] is ultimately recorded in the profit and loss accounts, contrary to what had been certified by the club and the auditor at the time of said transaction," La Liga said in a statement.

"Barcelona did not have on December 31 or on January 3 nor has it had since that date, nor does it currently have, [the Financial Fair Play capacity] for the registration of the players Dani Olmo and Pau Victor." Barcelona president Joan Laporta denounced La Liga's suggestions and declared that this was nothing more than an attempt to 'damage the club's image.'

Barcelona president Joan Laporta (left) pictured after Hansi Flick's arrival as the club's new head coach
Barcelona president Joan Laporta (left) pictured after Hansi Flick's arrival as the club's new head coach

He also questioned the timing of La Liga's statement as it came just prior to tonight's Copa del Rey semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid. The tie currently sits finely balanced at 4-4 on aggregate ahead of the second leg at the Metropolitano Stadium.

From a Gunners perspective, they will be watching what happens incredibly closely. Should the final decision be that Olmo's registration is revoked for the remainder of the season, he could effectively become a free agent and open the door for him to move clubs.

However, Olmo has always claimed to be incredibly happy at Barcelona and in January he was not thought to be seeking out alternative clubs.

Join the football.london Arsenal WhatsApp channel

Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta, Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus with the Arsenal Therapy Dog Win during the Arsenal Men's team group shoot at London Colney on September 18, 2023

Join our Arsenal WhatsApp channel and get all the latest breaking news, opinion, podcasts and in-depth stories from football.london's dedicated Arsenal writers straight to your phone!

By following this free service you will be the first to know the news from the Emirates Stadium as it happens, when it happens.

To join our dedicated Arsenal channel, all you have to do is click this link and you can join thousands of others following our Gunners coverage!

If you're curious, you can check out our privacy policy here.